In 1981 the late Ed Kenley fulfilled a life-long dream and returned to business in his own home town, buying the old Layton Ford store. What he started there was not just a thriving business, but also a culture and a legacy for his co-workers and protégés; a dedication to customers that remains the model for the dealership today. As a husband, father, businessman and ardent community supporter, Ed Kenley is sorely missed, but his philosophy and memory continue stronger than ever.
Ed Kenley Ford has grown from a stock of only 50 units in 1981 to nearly 300 units today. The dealership moved from the original location at 1573 N. Main to a ten acre site at 1888 N. Main in 1988. The new facility and 'Truck Corral' won the Layton City Beautification Award in 1994. Ed Kenley Ford also received the coveted "Time Magazine Quality Dealer Award" both in 1993(honoring Ed) and 1998 (honoring Jewel Lee).
This "Ford Motor Co. President's Award" winning dealership has earned Blue Oval status continually throughout the program. All of the dealership's salesmen are Ford Certified and the award winning service department has over 30 bays to serve customers' needs, with five Senior Master Certified technicians leading their team. With the addition of the QuickLane, Car Barn and EKF Custom Detail Shop and Larsen Boat Sales Center, Ed Kenley Ford continues to grow and serve the community.
Tragically, Ed's life was cut short in an automobile accident in 1993, but in 12 short years, he created a lasting legacy that survives and thrives today. Some of Ed's accomplishments and community involvement included Board member of Layton Chamber of Commerce and Oakridge Country Club; Chairman, Utah Auto Dealers Assoc.; President, Northern Utah Auto Dealers; member of Top of Utah Military Affairs Committee, Weber State University's Presidents' Society and the Wildcat Club.